Wednesday, May 14, 2008

ufws canvas transition

My last flash version of UFWS (Episode #12) went up on Monday morning. The rest of Monday was spent transitioning all the actionscript code to javascript (and writing some notes down). Tuesday was spent finishing up and recoding some parts which basically meant cleaning up the original code a bit. The rest of the day was spent making the background and updating the three widget graphics used. I was a bit crunched for time to get some decent gameplay in unfortunately. Overall, though the transition was much smoother than I imagined; there are some things I still don't have figured out. Today Episode #13 is released and is now using the Canvas tag.

The rest of my notes:

  • There are some anti-aliasing differences between the Safari on OS X and Firefox on windows - The "game-over Congrats!" image has rendered text in a PNG displays on major blurrage in firefox for some reason, on OS X this text is crisp

  • no text rendering is a problem, will need to get creative when I want to display any signage (like popup menus I had in the previous flash episodes)

  • No native IE 7 canvas (or SVG) support continues to sadden me.