Sunday, March 16, 2008

You forget so easy

ahh... must keep... blog alive...
I have no idea how regular (real) blog posters do it. Do they have any time to do actual work? Attempting to do one post a day and I run out of ideas after a week, while others can keep going for years! It really is impressive and I respect and enjoy their efforts.

Too busy to come up with a new post, I've been working on my new site redesign in between my new project (to be announced soon) and real pay the bills work (and my horrible WoW addiction which I can quit at any time... really). The new site will feature a homegrown discussion board system which will use the reCAPTCHA human verification system to let random human visitors leave comments without having to login or sign-up for yet another account.

The reCAPTCHA system really is pretty great. It shows two words and asks you to try to decipher them into a text-box, at which point my server sends your feeble attempts at optical character recognition to the recaptcha verification server. It all works relatively fast considering the load their servers must be under since they apparently are used by facebook, twitter, and stumbleupon according to wikipedia. Their API is simple and easy to understand although the diagram they use to convey how it works isn't so great. Still, I'm probably going to have user accounts because I personally don't want to keep entering these illegible words into a box before I post.