Monday, February 11, 2008

TwirlVectorEdit

TwirlVectorEdit: The first step in creating a nice symmetric image that can be rotated (or neat effects can be applied to). You can download TwirlVectorEdit for your Mac running Leopard for free. It's a pretty specific tool (I don't even think of it as an application) so it is very rough around the edges. I'm almost positive illustrator does something like this but I don't own it so I had to make this. I used this to create a starting point for making rotating selection indicators (originally for the 2pTD game). I later ended up using the output of this program along with another custom tool to create animated "pulse" graphics which are currently use in the 2pTD game. The left pane contains the filled polygon you create with the mouse, the right pane shows the "twirled" resulting image. See the contained README for instructions on how to use it.

TwirlVectorEdit Application
TwirlVectorEdit Source (not much to it really!)


I used this tool as the starting point for making flash animations like these:

More to come on the tools I used to animate these.